SC - Gold Leaf-A use

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 08:29:40 PDT 1997

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Isinglass is a gelling agent from the swim bladders of fish, and I have
> yet to find a source. We used gelatin (Knox brand) instead. For easty
> removal of the squares, use a glass pan, and rinse with cold water right
> before you pour the stuff in.
>
> It was a beautiful addition to our banquetting table! Gilded Jello! And
> chekcy, like our kingdom arms.
>
> --Anne-Marie

Isinglass is _supposed_ to come from the swim bladders of sturgeon, isin
or ising (I forget which) being an Anglo-Saxon term for the sturgeon.
You can get it powdered in homebrew supply shops; it's used in fining or
clarifying beers, wines, etc. Perfectly edible (at least as much as
liquamen ;  )  ), but for practical purposes unflavored animal gelatin
is a fine substitute.

Sounds lovely!

Adamantius