SC - RECIPE CHALLENGE II

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 10:03:28 PDT 1997

Unto SCA-COOKS, Ave et felicitas avis from G. Tacitus Adamantius!

Aoife says it's my turn. By the way, noble Lady, did I mention that you
are evil? The kiddies stopped squabbling for a moment when you flashed
the shiny new toy in their faces...we never knew what hit us.

There are several recipes I considered using for this. I was really
hoping for more responses on the cuskynoles or the mosserouns florys
questions I had raised earlier, but if we're looking for recipes that
are deceptively simple but open to a broad interpretation, then let's
try Syrosye:

>From "Utilis Coquinario", Book III of "Curye on Inglysche", a.k.a. Ms S,
ff. 80r - 92r.

33	To make a syrosye. Tak cheryes & do out the* stones & grynde hem wel
& draw hem thorw* a streynoure & do it in a pot. & do therto* whit gres
or swete botere & myed wastel bred, & cast therto* good wyn & sugre, &
salte it & stere it wel togedere, & dresse it in disches; & set theryn*
clowe gilofre, & strew sugre aboue.

* The asterisks denote use of the character "thorn", pronounced
somewhere between a "d" and a "th", which I can produce, but which
ASCII-based mail readers often can't read.

Or, for the faint at heart:

33	To make cherries. Take cherries and take out the pits, and grind them
fine. Put the puree through a strainer, and put it in a pot. And add
white grease or sweet butter to it, and grated white bread, and throw in
some good wine and sugar, and salt it and stir it well together, and put
it in dishes, and garnish it with cloves gilofer, and sprinkle it with
sugar.

Somebody raised the point that it was unclear as to whether "clowes
gilofre" meant cloves, the spice, or the clove pink gillyflower.
Actually, the point was rammed down my throat that I was an idiot for
even considering that the spice might have been intended, but that is
neither here nor there...

"Have fun storming the castle, boys!"

Adamantius