SC - WebMail

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jul 2 20:20:53 PDT 1997

At 9:21 AM -0400 7/2/97, Philip E Cutone wrote:

>documentation... we don't need no stinkin documentation! (but heck, if
>you have it, it would at least make this post  useful ;)

_Ain I Akbari_ (16th c. Moghul)

There is a large kind, baked in an oven, made of 10 s. flour; 5 s. milk; 1
1/2 s. ghi; 1/4 s. salt. They make also smaller ones. The thin kind is
baked on an iron plate. One ser will give fifteen, or even more. There are
various ways of making it; one kind is called chapati, which is sometimes
made of khushka; it tastes very well when served hot.

(End of Original)

1 lb =3D 3 1/2 c flour	2.4 oz ghee (clarified butter) =3D 3/8-1/2 c
1/2 lb =3D 1 c milk	.4 oz salt =3D 1/2 T

Melt the ghee, stir it into the flour with a fork until there are only very
small lumps. Stir in the milk until thoroughly mixed, knead briefly. Put
the ball of dough in a bowl covered by a damp cloth and leave for at least
an hour.   Then knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, adding a
little extra flour if necessary. Either:

Take a ball of dough about 2" in diameter, roll it out to about a 5"
diameter circle. Cook it in a hot frying pan without grease. After about 2
minutes it should start to puff up a little in places. Turn it. Cook
another 2 minutes. Turn it. Cook another 2 minutes. It should be done. The
recipe should make about 11 of these.

Take a ball of dough about 3" in diameter. Roll it down to a circle about
7" in diameter and 1/4" thick. Heat a baking sheet in a 450=B0 oven. Put the
circle of dough on it in the oven. Bake about 6 minutes; it should be
puffing up. Turn it over. Bake about 4 minutes more. Take it out. The
recipe should make about 5 of these.

(From the current edition of the _Miscellany_)

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com