SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #183

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 7 20:57:24 PDT 1997

Adamantius commented:
> Some Southeast Asian curries will also keep for several days at
>room temperature, depending on how close to the period European ideal
>you want to stick.

There is a period Islamic dish (13th c. Andalusian) with a lot of vinegar
in it which is supposed to keep several days; we have made a try or two at
the dish and found it pretty good, but haven't tested the preservation.

The Dish Mukhallal
Take the meat of a plump cow or sheep, cut it small, and put it in a new
pot with salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, plenty of saffron, garlic peeled
and diced, almonds peeled and split, and plenty of oil; cover it with
strong, very pure vinegar, without the slightest bit of water; put it on a
moderate charcoal fire and stir it, then boil it. When it cooks and the
meat softens and it reduces, then put it on the hearthstone and coat it
with much egg, cinnamon and lavender; color it with plenty of saffron, as
desired, and put in it whole egg yolks and leave it on the hearthstone
until it thickens and the broth evaporates and the fat appears. This dish
lasts many days without changing or spoiling; it is called "wedding food"
in the West [or the Algarve], and it is one of the seven dishes cited as
used among us at banquets in Cordoba and Seville. (end of original)

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook