SC - Re: Butchery

lwperkins lwperkins at snip.net
Tue Jul 8 08:46:11 PDT 1997

Not to beat a dead horse, but when I lived briefly in York as a college
student there was an area by the market called the "Shambles" where the
butchers hung out from c1300 until the 19th century, when an open-air
butcher shop began to be considered something of a public nuisance.
      I was told that most towns had their own "shambles" where meat could
be bought or your antiquated cow could be minced up fine, and that was
where the term "this place is a shambles" came from. York, by the way,
should be on every SCA visitor to Britain's list of Plases that Must Be
Visited--especially in April, when the daffodils are in bloom.
- --Ester du Bois
lwperkins at snip.net