SC - RECIPE CHALLENGE I

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 12:28:26 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

> clove pinks/pinks/gillyflowers/clove gillyflowers are all the same thing.
> Dianthus related to carnations- they are refered to as "clove" because they
> are supposed to have a clove like flavor to them.  so I guess the assumption
> is that gilofre means gillyflower? and not some other description of a type or
> use of clove spice?

Well, that's the problem. Gillyflower is probably a corruption of
gilofre. The term cloves is an abbreviation for cloves gilofre, which is
the correct name of the spice. Gilofres and/or girofles could either
refer to the flower, which smell like cloves gilofre, or to actual
cloves gilofre. The only way I think we can be sure is if the source
says something like "take flowers [or petals, or leaves, etc.] of cloves
gilofres", which many other flower recipes do. Classic circular logic
otherwise.

Perhaps if I rub my lamp and wish for Lady Katerine Rountre to
appear...;  )

Adamantius