SC - gold leaf

Anne-Marie Rousseau rousseau at scn.org
Fri Jul 11 01:14:02 PDT 1997

Tibor says:>
>While that can happen via swallowing food or foreign objects (ie bowel
>perforations or bleeding ulcers), it is not terribly likely even in those
>that react to silver body jewelry.  In my non-medical opinion, of course.

Yep. Gold is inert. It will not be broken down by amylase (the enzymes in
saliva), or the acides and enzymes in the digestive tract. The intact
gold chunks will l move on through. The cells that transport foodstuffs
across the wasll of the villii in the gut ignore that strange metal
stuff that s in hunks to big for them to deal with anyway.

True allergies are an immunologic response by mast cells to foreign
proteins, lipopolysachharides, etc. Even assuming gold COULD
be absorbed through the gut, it is unlikely that one would
mount an immune response against this inert metal.

- --Anne-Marie, an immunologist by day

- --
Anne-Marie Rousseau
rousseau at scn.org
Seattle, Washington
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.