SC - Cherries and wine

Carla S. Tucker tuckers323 at juno.com
Fri Jul 11 21:49:54 PDT 1997

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:49:59 +0000 Erin Kenny <Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca>
writes:

>There are two reasons for my abstinence.  The first is religious, so
>if the alcohol were removed I would have no real objections.  The
>second is a rather nasty "allergy/sensitivity".  We are not sure what
>causes it, since the doctor says it is unlikely a true "allergy" but
>since it is something easily avoided we don't need to pursue it
>further.  At one of my first events someone fed me a lovely beef stew
>with wine in it.  I was sick for three days (migraines and vomiting
>-- not worth it).

You may have an allergy to sulfites, which (I am told) are used in many
commercial wines.  If so, it would pay for you to pursue the allergy as
sulfites are used in other foodstuffs, including lettuce as served in
restaurant salad bars (sometimes...I think it is a preservative of some
sort).

Also, since this is the first time I have posted, I should introduce
myself.
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.  I am not an SCA member
due to my husbands lukewarm interest and a lack of time.  I live in
Phoenix, but I am not sure what Kingdom that is.  I have a couple of
friends who are active members, which is how my interest was aroused.  I
went to a collegium a couple of years ago and took classes in cooking,
cordial making, period spices, and textiles.  Quite interesting.  Anyway
I love to cook, so I grabbed at this list when I found it.  Thanks to all
of you for interesting and entertaining reading.

Carla Tucker
tuckers323 at juno.com
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.