SC - sulfa and sulfites

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 13 08:18:20 PDT 1997

I am not a medical professional, just a layperson who has paid out well
over $30,000 for help in the treatment of migranes over the past years.
I can only imagine how much my insurance companies have actually paid.  I
don't know about the connection between sulfa drugs and sulfites and
sulfates.  I do know that I can take sulfa drugs without problem, but
watch out when ingesting  sulfite or sulfate ridden meats.  The sulfite
and sulfate act as preservatives for aged meat (lunch meats, and such).
They easily convert to tyramine which triggers the spasmodic contraction
and dialation of the blood vessels in the brain, triggering a migrane.
Other meats create the same difficulty, but they are not tyramine foods.
I have allergies to beef, turkey, chicken, emu, ostrich, fish, etc.  I
should be a vegetarian, but I am allergic to corn (and all corn
products), the entire nightshade family,  most nuts (especially cashews,
darnnit), yellow squash and many more.  They  cause migranes as well as
other problems.

I lived in virtual seclusion for many years until I was able to get a
rotation diet that really worked.  Now, I have managed to lessen the
severity of most of my reactions to foods. - - - And as for becoming a
vegetarian, no thanks.  I was reared on red meat and will happily clog my
arteries with it for the rest of my life.  No offesnse to those chosing
an alternative lifestyle, but it isn't for me.  If I have to eat
rattlesnake for the rest of my life, then so be it (it's pretty good).
Just keep the skunk.  I may kill them, but I don't eat them.

Genevieve de Vaux
The Skunk Killer of Emerald Keep