SC - Wedding Cake

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Sun Jul 13 18:31:53 PDT 1997

Howdy, folks!

Aoife here, in a small quandry. Friends of mine are having a "period"
wedding, during a public demo---they want it to be truly historical, and are
researching all the necessary historical details--and have asked me to make
the "cake". Problem 1: They're 5th century Christianized Celts (so that
gives us bannocks, right?). Problem 2: Modern wedding cakes are not "period"
by any concievable stretch of the imagination. I'm toying with the idea of
making Leche Lombard for this September wedding, and "tarting it up a bit"
by making it the backround/base for a Soteltie along the lines of St. George
and the Dragon, starring the wedding couple as St. George and the Damsel.

I am curious if anyone else has done a wedding cake under similar
circumstances, and if anyone has any sources they could point me at that
describe wedding feasts in detail. It will be necessary to find a source
later than their personas' time period, in order to find any mention of
wedding delicacies.  I suppose some of those enriched or 'diet' bread would
be a good compromise, as well. I can't seem to recall any mention of special
cakes for weddings, although I admit I haven't paid special attention to
searching out wedding menus.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lady Aoife Finn

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.