SC - sulfa and sulfites

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 08:17:36 PDT 1997

> It is RARE that such a reaction would occur with the miniscule levels
> of
> sulfites in wine. I f a person is allergic to sulfa drugs and CAN eat
> eggs,
> cabbage, luchcheon meats, hotdogs, broccoli, cauliflower, plain grape
> juice,
> etc. they will not have a reaction to the sulfites in wine since the
> foods
> listed contain massive amounts of sulfites compared to wine per se..
> The
> over-reaction of the public to the sulfa thing in wine is much similar
> to the
> bizaare responce of healthy adults to the news that aspirin can rarely
> cause
> a fatal reaction when given to a child 12 or under with the flu.

Though, rarity does not imply insignificance.  Lord Chrisopher Lyon, a
friend of mine for years, can be put into intensive care by miniscule
levels of various preservatives and food additives.  The wonderful
tradition in Meridies of offering allergy information to those who
inquire about feasts should be added to other knigdoms if not already
there.  I am continually impressed at the consideration the cooks of
Meridies have for those who give their craft meaning.....the eaters.

niccolo

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.