SC - wine and sulphites

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 10:37:25 PDT 1997

> Sulfites are one of the natural byproducts of winemaking (I want to
> say
> fermentation, but I'm not 100% sure if it's all fermentation or only
> certain substances).  THIS is why you see it on labels of commercial
> American wines--it's in the European stuff, too, but they don't have
> put it on their labels, as it is a natural byproduct.

M'lady, you are correct that sulphites are a product of American
winemaking, but a little off on the other. Actually, sodium
metabisulphite and potassium metabisulphite are chemical additives to
wine.  They are used to kill yeast and sanitize the wine after
fermentation.  It also aids in preserving the final product as it is.
Filtration removes the majority of yeast cells, but those left could
cause problems in off flavor or mutating and restarting fermentation
(bottle bombs).   Fermentation is the breakdown of sugars (C6H12O6) into
carbon dioxide, water and ethyl alcohols.  Other sulpherous byproducts
can produced in varying amounts depending on errors in sanitary methods
and unexpected compounds in your water, but the sulphites are added.

Many European wineries do not add these preservatives to their wines,
but rely on thorough fermetation and pH levels to limit post-production
fermentation.  Most meadmakers that I know avoid the sulphites as they
are both historically correct and aware that it severely limits the
audience who can enjoy their product.  So, thank you to the sulphite
sensitive out there for helping keep me and my comerades honest :o) You
can buy the metabisulphites by the pound at your finer winemaking supply
shops if you add it to husefermented wines.

niccolo (a housebrewer and part-time supplier).

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.