SC - Allergies - again..

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 15 09:48:10 PDT 1997

Greg Lindahl wrote:

> The SCA isn't a business, so it's different -- I never have any
> expectation of being accomodated, and sometimes I get forced to pay
> for feasts I can't eat any of just so I can sit with my friends. But I
> still can't imagine why any cook would prefer answering lots of phone
> calls to having the reservations taker simply compile a list of
> folks with common situations.

Either way is fine. The point is that people with special dietary needs
are a minority, often a vocal monority, who need to be sure they are a
vocal minority BEFORE the event. Experience indicates that under the
current system, few people take advantage of being warned in advance to
find out about whether menu is compatible with needs. When you consider
the number of people who then come forward with either complaints (or,
more commonly, simple flat statements without any emotional baggage)
that they can't eat X, it still seems to work out to a pretty small
percentage, at least within my experience. I don't mind a couple of
phone calls, as a little advance feedback helps the cook too.

> > Oh...and when I say "far enough in advance", I'm talking about the
> > months and months of menu planning stage. Not the right-before-the-feast
> > stage!
>
> So you would suggest that every ovo-lacto vegetarian should call every
> cook several months before each event? Or is this your suggestion only
> for unusual allergies?

I suspect the remark in question might have been worded better. There
are often months and months of planning for a feast, but I imagine that
it wouldn't be a problem to contact the cook, say, two weeks beforehand.
When do most people who send in advance reservations do so? This would
apply, as far as I'm concerned, primarily to those people with allergies
to X. Ovo-lacto vegetarians should be able to be accomodated pretty
easily if the menu is properly constructed.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.