SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #208

Mark Weiland gryfon at execpc.com
Mon Jul 21 21:37:52 PDT 1997

At 11:08 AM 7/21/97 -0500,
>Greetings

I would like to introduce myself, I am Lord Balthazar Fitz Gryphon  and I
reside in the Principality of Northshield.

I do aplogize in advance if some of this is repeated I have not read all of
my mail for the last week.

In the Middle Kingdom, A&S has several Categories, 1 for Single Dish,
Multiple Dish and Sublties.

It is true that several dishs i.e. a course does take up more room, but so
does an entire suit of armour or a complete Elizabethan dress. We would no
more judge any one of these things on only a breast plate or a sleeve so why
should we judge a meal on only one dish. A meal is what we as cooks are
trying to recreate, and a meal is napkins, table linens, plate, candlesticks
and garnish. Presentation is vital to a more accurate recreation of period
food than we ever give it credit for, because we experience food with our
eyes as well as our noses and mouths, That is way judges of beer and wine
hold these products up to the light and check for cloudyness and color.

If you are worried about a single dish of preserves not capturing the judges
interest prehaps a little resreach into the way a preserve would be used and
presented in period would give it more completeness.

Yours in service to all things culinary
Balthazar