SC - gentle lesson in list etiquette please....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 24 12:39:33 PDT 1997

kat wrote:

> Forgive me for the blatant "newbie"ness of this question, but...I have been noticing on this list a rather odd phenomenon:
>
>         1) A gentle will describe a marvelous-sounding dish and mention their personal variations <drool>.
>         2)  Another good gentle will quote the post and follow it with something like "Oooh!  Recipe, please!"  <<drool>>.
>         3)  I will wait impatiently for the next few Digests so I can check out the recipe <<<drool>>>
>         4)  The recipe doesn't appear <sad hungry eyes>
>
>         Am I unaware of something?  Does etiquette on this list specify that "Recipe please" generally be responded to with a private post? (If so.... me too, please?)  Or am I just, to quote me sainted Grandmother, being young and impatient again?  <grin>
>
>         Always curious....
>
>                 - kat

Actually, the point you raise is probably something that needs to be
said. It's just that sometimes people are able to discuss a recipe they
know, even in some detail, without necessarily being able to quote it
with any faith in their accuracy. Also, sometimes it's easier to
extemporize online than it is to type in a faithful rendition of a
written recipe.

I know that I, for one, owe the list a recipe for aloyeaulx de veau. The
chances are that I won't get to this until Monday or so, since I find
that I don't have it written down. It's just something I've always
thrown together by eye and taste. I can certainly reconstruct what I did
to make the dish, but it will take me a little while to actually turn
that into a coherent recipe.

I'm woikin' on it, I'm woikin' on it!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy