SC - Re: Pears

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Jul 29 05:14:00 PDT 1997

Hi There! I know I promised to be silent, and here I am with my second
posting since that time, but....

If you break out a copy of (or buy at WAR a copy of) The Complete Dagger
Lickin Good cookbook, there is a recipe already redacted. I don't recall the
original, though.

Anyhow, many many years ago, I made this recipe and canned the pears for a
camping event. Even though the event was sparsely attended, I ran out of
pears. Seems someone broke into the provisions tent after the feast, while I
was sleeping, and handed out pears by the camp fire (they ate 'em with their
fingers!).

Alas, I have loaned my copy of the book out, so you'll have to rely on
someone else for the recipe, but it should point you in the right direction.

There's a good recipe for ricotta (not necessarily medieval) in there, too,
from the a Modern Canadian Source.

Aoife

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:57:03 -0400 (EDT)
>From: rebecca tants <becca at servtech.com>
>Subject: SC - Pears in Wine Sauce questions....
>
>Two questions regarding Pears in Wine Sauce -
>
>1) I've been served this SO many times at feasts.  Is it documentable?
>
>2) Regardless, can you make it in advance and freeze it (like for pennsic)?
>Or will that wreck the texture and I should just bite the bullet and cook
>them onsite?  (Not difficult, but the person who want's them wants LOTS of
>them to go with the LOTS of Onion Sops her husband wants, which can be made
>in advance and frozen......  The less Pennsic time over a hot stove making
>large quantities of ostensible staples, the happier I will be :-)
>
>(I have a good friend who loves the stuff and we have a great deal going -
>I cook for all pennsic, she cleans up, her husband runs to the store for
>me...She has, however, informed me that this is ABSOLUTELY to be on the menu
>and with my job requiring travel, I haven't been able to get near a book
>to check out either of the above....)
>
>Thanks!
>Ruadh

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957