SC - canning

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 30 09:15:33 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

> In doing canning of jams with my mother- somewhere along the line she stopped
> messing with the boiling water... if you have two people and a bunch of oven
> mits/pot holders, and what you are canning is going in near boiling hot, the
> first person fills the jars and the second person quickly (and carefully) puts
> the lids on and flips the jars upside down.  About 10 minutes later flip them
> back right side up and the seal has been made.  It of course won't work if
> what you are putting into the cans is not in the molten lava state of
> jams/jellies/sauces- but works quite well if you are.  Lay out a towel to work
> on- that way drips can just be thrown in the wash, and your table has some
> insullation, and it does take a little agility!
> -brid

I'm inclined to agree, in theory. This is probably one of those
techniques that will work 99.99999% of the time, but then fail miserably
.00000001 (please forgive if I include the wrong number of zeroes)
percent of the time. Since there are people who can things like beef
stew, and failure could mean fatalities under those circumstances, if I
were only going to teach or recommend one method, I'd recommend the
textbook method  Lady Aoife employs. On the other hand, it's probably
harmless for marmalade, which is why I usually do it myself that way. I
just felt a distinction needed to be made...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com