SC - The siege cook challenge.

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:07:33 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Shirley comments:

>I "didn't come out and play" because I don't know anything yet.
 { snip }
>I was impressed and awed and overcome by all the knowledge and information
>that went into the answering of the challenge.  I am in this list so I can
>learn to do this.  Maybe a good question would be to ask what would good
>first and second "steps" be to try.

The big thing is to plunge in, and then persist.  I don't know how long
Adamantius has been at this; for me, it's been thirteen years.  Even five
years ago, any response I would have made would have been a whole heck
of a lot less informed.

The best place to start is the place you're most interested in.  If it's
recipes, read the period collections.  (I'm dead serious.  Sit down and
read them.)  Then cook from them.  Pick some recipes that look interesting
without looking terminally daunting, look up the words you don't know
(the first few times, you might want to copy them down as a glossary),
copy them out, buy some of everything they call for, get friends together,
and pick a Saturday, and try to make food.

If you're more interested in general foodways, read the secondary
literature.  Subscribe to PPC; exercise you local library's interlibrary
loan on things like Anne Wilson's _Food and Drink in Britain_, and
the various volumes arising out of the Oxford Symposium.

If you're interested in serving manners, read the various manuals
(John Russell's Boke of Nurture, etc.).

And go where your interests take you.

And read lists like this, and the usenet rec.food.historic (which is kind
of sporadic, but sometimes excellent), and ask questions.

There's always more to do!

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry