SC - Novice Only Redaction Challenge

Angie Capozello capozell at ben.dev.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:20:16 PDT 1997

Ok, here goes, my first attempt at a redaction - don't expect too much!

Raffaella di Napoli

- ----

>  Boiled Perch                  ("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155)
>
>  "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and make
>  to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme
>  hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,
>  and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of
>parcelly.
>  and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

1 fish (perch)
pinch or two of salt
sprigs of parsley
vinegar or verjuice

Clean and gut the fish (if it isn't already done) Set a pan filled with
water, big enough to hold the fish, over the fire and throw in a pinch or
two of salt. Once the water starts to boil, skim any film/stuff of the
surface of the water and put the fish into the pan.  Let it boil till
cooked all the way through.  Once done, take the fish out and let it cool
(chill it maybe? could they do that?)

To serve, put on a platter covered decoratively with a bed of parsley, and
sprinkle with vineger or verjuice.

- -----
Ok, how'd I do?

Raffaella