SC - Re: "Novice Only Redaction"

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:28:54 PDT 1997

   Boiled Perch                  ("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155) >
>   "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and make
>   to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme
>   hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,
>   and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of

     parcelly and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

        Take a perch and cut him (clean him); Bring a small amount of samll
water, enough to cover a saucepan, add salt, stiring to disolve and bring
to slow boil.  Skim any foam and gently lower fish into the water, reducing
heat.
Poach fish, until firm.  Remove fish and gently pull fish apart, leaving
largish chunks, removing skin and bones.  Take Italian parsley leaves and
lavishly sprinkle over fish.  Add verjuice or vinegar.  Before serving I
would lightly toss the fish to distribute the parsley and verjuice evenly
throughout the dish.

I think that the reason why you would skim the salt water is that sometimes
sea salt will foam, or have some inpurities in it.  I remember trying
Maldon salt. which is still made by traditional methods and sometimes has
small bits of other minerals in it.  Flat leaf Italian is tastier for me
than the curly.

Clare St. John, who doing this after work....