SC - Sekanjabin... kinda

Philip E Cutone flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 31 07:29:31 PDT 1997

recently the Miscellany recipe for Sek. was posted here and i thought
i'd share my improvisation.

Started making it with intent of substituting ginger for the mint. (i
had ginger, but no mint... :)

original: 4 cups sugar, 2.5 water, 1 cup vinegar, handfull mint

i made this, but thought it was a bit on the weak side... (gotta save
space for packing... ;)  added another 3 cups sugar and 1 cup vineger
(i used some homemade cyser vinegers) all told about 2.5 tablespoons
powdered ginger (hey... gotta use whatcha got... it was an 11pm
inspiration and i didn't want to dig up my ginger plants.) also added
a good squeeze of lemon juice to add tartness.
The resulting syrup i dillute 1/2 tablespoon to 8 ounces cold water.
nice and refreshing!
my result: 7 cups sugar, 2.5 water, 2 vinegar, 2.5 tbs powdered
ginger, good squirt of lemon.

if i had it to do again, i'd  go with:
my result: 7 cups sugar, 1.5 water, 3 vinegar, couple nodes fresh
ginger, good squirt of lemon

but then i like it tart and not too sweet.

flip