SC - Heraldry at the dinner table

Thu Jul 31 09:22:00 PDT 1997

  I'm teaching a class at Pennsic called Heraldry at the Dinnertable,
  which is a survey of where you might find heraldic type things displayed
  at dinner in period.

Don't forget to ask Master Hroar to loan you some of his highly authentic
heraldic feast gear, with documentation.  He sells it at Pennsic and takes
commisions.  Nice fellow.  (Makes the only aquamanille I've seen so far!)

Mistress Elayne used to sell slip decorated plates: but with her 1 year old
she may not be available any more.

  1. How have you used/seen heraldry used in serving dinners at an SCA feast?
  2. If you were the cook/planner, how did you choose the display you did?
  3. If you documented it, can you give me the rundown/citations?

Frequently we decorate items of food with heraldic themes: cutting the tops
of wheels of brie and decorating them, coating the tops of pies with
appropriate themes, etcetera.  Coloring portions of rice and making patterns
on the tops of bowls.  Stuff.

My wife did a children's activity a few times, where she made sugar plate
shields, and let children paint them heraldically with food-paste based
colors.  It could have been done more authentically, but it was designed to
be a low-hassle gig: since Dante was also cooking the feast that day.

Is that the sort of thing you want?  I can't give citations: Rialto excuse
#'s 1 and 2 apply. (1: My books are at home, and I'm at work, 2: My books
are in a box in the attic right now and I cannot get to them.)

	Tibor