SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #183

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 7 00:38:48 PDT 1997

At 8:40 AM +1000 7/7/97, KandL Johnston wrote:

>This is of great interest. While we have ony been period camping for the
>last couple of years, we have had a cooler, and you are quite correct,
>it is a nuisance. But a week is a long time. We can handle breakfasts,
>no problem. Lunch, we like to have a bit of cheese. and dinners, well my
>husband loves to have a bite of flesh. All this, to my modern minds
>means a cooler.
>
>What type of meals, preperation do you make to handle a week?

1. We don't cook all our meals for the week at Pennsic. We cook one big
meal for the whole encampment, expect some other people in the encampment
to do the same, and sometimes go to inns.

2. Main dish ingredients without a cooler include:

A. Meat the first day.
B. Apples, Sausage, bread and Cheese the second day (many sausages will
keep for several days at room temperature).
C. A dish of lentils. This uses lentils, which keep, and eggs, which keep
for quite a while without refrigeration.
D. A pickled meat ("The Lord's Salt" in the _Miscellany_) dish for one day.
E. Pasta and cheese (Loseynes, for example)
F. Something good with beans ("Fried Broad Beans," for example)..
G. Get invited to dinner with someone else.

Note that if you are in an encampment with people arriving at different
times, you can have a late arrival bring in fresh meat. Also someone in the
encampment may do a grocery store run at some point.

Other (not mainly dinner) things include melons, dried fruit, hard sausage,
bread, apples, butter, cheese (you can get small cheeses in wax, which will
keep through the week until cut), gingerbrede, Islamic pastries such as
khuskhananaj, ...   . Also we have several Islamic frying pan pastries and
fritters, for deserts. And sekanjabin for a cool drink, Granatus and
Lemonatus for hot drinks in the evening.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/