SC - Recipe challenge

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Jul 7 16:54:15 PDT 1997

Greetings, old friends!

I've been silent for a while. Did you miss me? I've been thinking over a
little challenge, and I'd like to present it to you:

I've been watching the infinite varieties of wonderful food we get from a
single recipe. It amazes me, when I think of how so many different cooks
represent what was written down for us by the cooks who went before. So here
is my challenge, starting with a simple-seeming recipe. We can work up to
harder ones, if you like (and feel free to step in with your own recipe to
challenge us!). I am hoping this will be a learning tool for all of us.
Don't comment on what dish you "think" it is...that would be cheating the
rest of us out of the fun of our own logical conclusions. Rather, simply
post the redacted recipe you would use.
Then we'll see from the conclusions of all the others posting if everyone
concurrs.

What sort of redacted recipe can you make from this Apecius translation (the
Vehling trans., all I have at the moment):

(129)ALITER PATINA VERSATILIS

THE DISH, CALLED A TURN-OVER, IS THUS MADE: CRUSH VERY FINE WALNUTS AND
HAZLENUTS TOAST THEM AND CRUSH WITH HONEY, MIX IN PEPPER, BROTH, MILK AND
EGGS AND A LITTLE OIL.

Good luck!

Aoife....who once was handed a recipe to redact for what another cook
insisted was a lemon and herb omlette. When I read it, I saw "Lemon-herb
puffs on toast"!
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957