Re- SC - Meat for a week

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Jul 7 16:56:08 PDT 1997

Cariadoc explained:

There is actually an early Islamic recipe--from a 10th century collection,
the recipe attributed to Jafar al-Barmaki, c. 800--for a cold chicken in
oil which, although not literally canned, ought to work the same way. We've
only tried it once, so I don't have a clear idea how long it keeps.
- - --
Bridah (a cold dish) of Abu Ja'far al-Barmaki
Translated by Charles Perry from a 9-10th c. Islamic collection.

A fowl is taken, roasted, jointed and thrown in a jar into which are put
coriander, pepper, cumin and cinnamon. Verjus is added, and mint, tarragon
and fresh thyme are cut over it, and good oil is poured over it. Fresh
spices are minced onto it, and it is decorated with chopped cucumber.

Could someone please post a redaction of this for me? I'm afraid I'm not
quite up to redacting my own yet. This sounds similar to preserving soft
cheese in oil that we discussed a while back. I'm not sure how much of
each of these spices to use. How would you serve this? Take the pieces
out of the oil and warm them up? Rinse them off like salt fish? (I assume
not, but...)

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com