SC - Re- Butchery

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Jul 8 22:16:46 PDT 1997

On 8 Jul 1997, Mark Harris wrote:

> I've considered what it would be like at an event to hand each small
> group a couple of live chickens and rabbits and explain that that
> was dinner. That primative cookgear and fire materials were available
> for those who didn't bring anything.  And see what happened. (Ansteorra
> events are almost always camping events).

Several years ago I participated in an survival course where we were given
one rabbit per two participants. I noted with some sort of amusement that
there was several live rabbits in the morning. You would probably supply
a fair number of people with a new pet, or give the local foxes a feast.

I have also considered a version on your idea for the SCA: just how many
people do you need to make full use of a sheep or goat before it spoils
(say 30 pounds of meat for a sheep)? If kept in the shade and wrapped to
keep the flies off it should last at least a couple of days. But I'm
afraid someone would object... :-(

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Robert A. Heinlein memorial service 7:00 PM Barbecue 7:30 PM
(no salt necessary).