Liquamen -- was: SC - Definition

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 09:38:32 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> Indeed.  While some of the exchange got stupidly personal and silly, it is
> well worth checking with http://www.dejanews.com for the thread, looking
> especially for postings from Andrew Smith.  It was, shall we say,
> definitive.  Check in the May/June timeframe.
>
>         Tibor

Yes, Mr. Smith is an interesting and well-informed fellow. He is also a
professional culinary historian with condiments as an area of
specialization. He tends to be, shall we say, zealous in the defense of
his conclusions ;  ), but those conclusions aren't arrived at lightly.
The whole aspect of lactobaccili in the process comes straight from him:
it hadn't occurred to me that there was an acid/pickling aspect to the
garum/liquamen process.

Adamantius