SC - Redactions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 16:30:23 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> I would like to know others thoughts on what a redaction is. Lady Aiofe in
> opening up this exciting and fun challenge specifically asked for redactions
> and requested that "interpretations" not be sent so as not to spoil the game.
> IMHO, a redaction is NOT a posting of another "translation" of the recipe, is
> NOT a translation in general, is not a paragraph describing how we would
> prepare the recipe or a critique on the various types of dishes that could be
> made if one actually redacted the recipe.
>
> IMHO, a "redaction" consists of a delineated recipe (E.G. cups, tsp, lb,
> tblsp, etc.) plus the instructions on combining those ingredients and the
> amounts used. Could anyone one enlighten me on the subject, please? In the
> last "contest" I seem to be the only one who posted an actual recipe with one
> other who used my redaction with unspecified changes. Inquiring minds need to
> know. :-)

Okay, okay. I think the problem is that many people aren't in a position
to just nip into the kitchen and cook something like this. It's possible
that many of those who are in such a position aren't comfortable with
publicising their recipes to be duplicated and critiqued.

I was able to take a few minutes to throw together the dish, admittedly
after I had seen your redaction, Lord Ras, which I used as a basis
partly because it was there :  ), and mostly because it was in
pleasingly small quantities (just in case). So, if it will make you feel
better, here's what I did:

Mine contained (more or less) 1/2 cup hazelnuts, 1/2 cup pine nuts,
toasted and crushed, mixed with two eggs and 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp.
Chinese shrimp paste (failing nampla, nuoc mam, or patis as the more
standard substitutes for liquamen), and about 3 or 4 Tbs of honey. A big
grind of fresh black pepper (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 tsp) went in, and it was
all
beaten together. I cooked it like an omelette in one of those small
Japanese woks with one handle, first adding a bit of olive oil to the
pan. I stirred it until almost fully set, and flipped it over
(Patinas...In...Space!). What I ended up with was kind of like a bread
pudding made from nuts, about 1 1/2 inches thick x 8 inches across,
with  a nice brown crust, which unfortunately became a bit soggy too
quickly.

I'd recommend that anyone trying this be sure to grind at least some of
the nuts EXTREMELY finely, and be careful to avoid having the nuts exude
too much oil. Grinding them in a mortar with a few drops of the milk
should help.

Please understand that I am pretty comfortable about just cooking from
the original recipe (or as close as I can get to it), so I often don't
really bother about things like quantities of ingredients, which I
usually (rightly or wrongly) treat as more of a shopping issue than a
cooking question.

Adamantius

Adamantius