SC - E-mail for Lyn Parkinson

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 3 02:31:08 PDT 1997

> >        About the only other things I'm considering are a
> >      chick-pea dish or a spinach dish but I'm afraid there may be some
> >      hesitation on the part of the populace.  Thanks!
>
> You shouldn't worry about that so very much; yes, they have a slight
> weirdness factor, but I was at an event a couple of months ago that
> served a spinach dish that literally ran out.  The trick is just to
> set out some bread so anti-vegetarians have something to occupy them
> (somehow they don't seem to realize that bread is not meat! ;> ) while
> the omnivores and vegetarians have at your spinach and peas!

AHEM! :)  There are a couple of dishes I serve that there's *never*
enough of - one is hummus (a chickpea/garlic/lemon puree) with pita
bread, greek olives and feta cheese; and the other is falafel (the
original Arab veggie burger).  Falafel is best when you can get fresh
fava beans, but the mix ain't half bad in a pinch (not especially
when you live in southern Utah and there isn't a Middle Eastern
restaurant or deli for 180 miles!).

Either of these two can be a main course for a vegetarian, if you
serve a good salad (tabbouleh perhaps?) along with, and lots of pita
bread...

> In short -- if you don't serve it forth, nobody will eat it.  If you
> do serve it forth, somebody will eat it.  If you're worried about how
> many people will eat it, make smaller portions.

Make a lot of either of the above; it'll disappear in no time!  Oh,
and spanakopita (a spinach, cheese & filo pastry pie) is nearly
always an instant hit, and some of the eggplant and rice recipes are
delightful!

Rhianwen
Incipient Shire of Ard Ruadh
Almost Kingdom of Artemisia