SC - hello!

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Jun 3 06:59:28 PDT 1997

>   Have you period versions of the recipes ??
>   (-8

Make me do research, will you??? :):)  k, lemme see what I can dig
up...

My favorite recipe book is "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia
Roden, which I bought about 20 years ago.  It's still in print, and I
saw a copy at Das Edelweiss (http://www.tcd.net/~robin/) recently, so
I know you can still get it.  She lists such sources as _al-Baghdadi_
for many of the dishes.

If it isn't listed on the Das Edelweiss page, I'm sure they can order
it in for you.

Roden mentioned no period source for the hummus, but for
falafel:

     	"The Christian Copts, who are said to be pure representatives
	of the Ancient Egyptians, claim this dish as their own, along with
	melokhia soup.  Their claim is quite probably justified, since these
	dishes, whose origins cannot be traced, are nevertheless believed
	to be extremely old."

Not exactly a primary source, but better than nothing :)  And the
recipes in this book have *never* failed, no matter how many I've
tried.

Rhi