SC - Mediterranean Feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 3 18:57:20 PDT 1997

maddie teller-kook wrote:

> Stephanie Rudin wrote:
> >
> >      In liquer recipes, what do you use as a neutral spirit?  I
> >      have heard that some people use vodka.  Are there others
> >      that work?
> >
> >      Mercedes
> >
> I have used Everclear (TM) and diluted it down to the desired proof
> (usually 80 proof....40% alcohol).  NEVER USE IT WITHOUT DILUTING IT
> FIRST!!!!!      Since it has no real flavor (like vodka) it allows
> the flavor of the fruit, spices, nuts, etc to shine through.
>
> meadhbh

Greetings,

I have used Everclear (TM), I have used vodka.  If you buy vodka in
the 1.75L size, the price is the same as a bottle of Everclear
(in NJ, that is; YMMV).  After diluting it 1:1, you get about 1.5L
of liquid --- for all intents the same volume as the 1.75L Vodka.  As
to taste, the Everclear has a rougher tase than the vodka, and I
haven't been able to get rid of it.

As I see it, the only advantage of using Everclear is that by using
less water to dilute it, you could get a higher alcohol content but
then you would have less taste not more.

I am,
Vinchenzio Martinus di Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

- --
Martin G. Diehl

Sig under construction
Home page not even started, PENNSIC comes^H^H^H^H^Hcame first!