SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #135

Shayne & Trudi Lynch lynchs at macquarie.matra.com.au
Wed Jun 4 14:44:33 PDT 1997

     (Grin) Way cool! No, I'm not much of a meat person--hate handling the
>stuff--so I confined myself to less "hands-in" flesh dishes. I really do like
>liver though--any chance you might share your redactions with the rest off
>us? I'm not quite sure who among my aquainances would actually eat such
>"oddities", but maybe if I didn't tell them what it was first................
>;-)

>Ldy Diana
Brain sausage- isicia de cerebellis

put in the mortar pepper, lovage and origany, moisten with broth and rub;
Add cooked brain and mix diligently so that there be no lumps.Incorporate
five eggs and continue mixing well to have a good force meat which you
may thin with broth. Spread this out in a metal pan, cook, and when
cooked [cold]unmould onto a clean table. Cut into a handy size. [now prepare a
a sauce] Put in the mortar pepper, lovage and origany,crush, mix with broth
put into a saucepan, boil,thicken and strain. Heat the pieces of brain
pudding in this sauce thoroughly, dish them up,sprinkle with pepper,
in a mushroom dish.

APICIUS
cooking and dining in imperial Rome

Soak your brains overnight in milk.Next day poach them in new milk and throw
out the milk you soaked them in (which will now be pink from the blood
that you've leached from the brains.) Let the brains cool.In a mortar,
crush pepper, lovage and origany.In a bowl,beat your brains with a wooden
spoon till smooth. Add your eggs and beat them in,but not to roughly,or
you will get to much air through the mixture.Now this is where I moved
from the recipe.The mix as it now stands will bake well as the above says ,
but I put it in sausage casing, poached it and then panfried some of it
in butter. others I wrapped in the liver kromski recipe, wrapped that
in caul fat and smoked.Will send the liver recipe later.Late for work.

Aelfthrythe of Saxony
Journeyman to Master Charles of the Park
Shayne Lynch   &      Trudi Lynch
[AKA]  Francois Henri Guyon   &   "He's like a giant boulder:
       AElfthrythe of Saxony  I   too thick to think and
lynchs at macquarie.matra.com.au I   too heavy to move" (anon.)