SC - Period Recipes

Melissa Martines melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com
Wed Jun 4 13:00:18 PDT 1997

 <snip>
	I see no problem with posting a favorite recipe or menu. I also don't
	see a problem with someone asking in response, "Can you document 'x' in
	period?" Still further, I don't have a problem with the first poster
	responding, "No, I made it up/got it from a traditional source/it's
	modern." This is the way we will learn.  The point of this forum, if I
	not mistaken, is to educate. We can not do that without questions, and
	those asking are, as far as I can tell, seeking to squish creativity,
	but to discover if there are 'new' sources that they are unaware of.

	Yumitori

I don't have a problem with this either, but we are overlooking a couple
things that have been said to date:

1.	When people post recipes, they are *overwhelmed* with "What documentation
	do you have" questions.

2.	The question "What documentation do you have?", while not intrinsically
	daunting and confrontational, has been used so often against new members
	that a lot of people immediately get their hackles up.  We need to be a
	lot gentler in the way we are asking for this information. I don't want
	to hear a lot of "we need to be thicker skinned" commentary.  Asbestos
	underwear is no fun to wear, especially if you are new to the list.

3.	Some of us love to discuss/debate/argue incessantly.  While for some
	of us this is fun (and I am one of them), it is intimidating for those
	who are less vocal and less agressive than others.

4.	There are too many private replies going to the lists.  Please, if you
	include your e-mail address in your .sig file (assuming you have one),
	then those of use with bizarre mail readers can e-mail you privately.

Just spouting off yet again.

Derdriu
(kicking the soapbox behind her for use as kindling)

swensel at brandegee.lm.com