SC - Vinegar/verjuice -Reply

JANINE BRANNON janineb at smtpgw.mis.ssh.edu
Wed Jun 4 14:33:41 PDT 1997

        I think part of what's going on is partly due to regionalism in the
SCA. For the most part in Ansteorra and at least some of Atenveldt's
history, doing feasts totally period is not the norm.  It's not that people
aren't willing to eat "authentic" medieval cuisine, it's just that it's
relativity new here.  I think Clarissa who was originally from the East can
attest to this since she has moved into the Barony here and does period
cooking.  Meabhdh who is well know for her cookery and has researched Roman
cookery also can attest to this.  From what I understand the East normally
cooks only medieval cuisine or mostly period food. I approached it
backwards since I work with herbs quite a bit and got interested through
that.  The feasts I cooked were using period food but not following period
recipes all the time; for example, roasted meats with period sauces,
vegetables that followed what was available in period with period
treatment.
        I found it fascinating that in the East people are served
differently than here.  We seat feast-eaters with non-feast eaters.  We
have a lot of feast served in the field since many of our events are
camping events with no available kitchens.  So for me the regionalism is
somewhat interesting, especially in Lochac which is on the other side of
somewhere else for me.  (Would love to visit)
        We should view this list as a chance to share our differences.
When I travel I look forward to trying new foods and new ingredients.  I
originally removed myself from the list because I did feel like I was being
snubbed for not being totally period but I came back on because I know I
have something of value somewhere to offer. As long as I realize that
someone will make a statement based on where they are coming from, I don't
react so badly....

I know I'm writing a lot but I really hate my job today...it's summer and
none of the faculty and students are here right now so I'm bored.

Clare St. John