SC - Period Recipes

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Jun 4 15:18:29 PDT 1997

ND Wederstrandt wrote:

> What's a cuskynole?

A cuskynole is a kind of filled pastry: various fresh and dried fruits
mixed with chopped nuts are wrapped in what might be a pasta dough,
parboiled and then roasted on a gridiron. I suspect they would be
something like a cross between Fig Newtons and Chinese fried dumplings.
Recipe is in one of the 14th-century English prototypes of The Forme of
Cury, called Diversa Servicia. The language is pretty obscure when
compared to the more modern Forme of Cury, so even though there is a
diagram, I'm not sure how the filling is wrapped or sealed. I suspect
they are either done as square ravioli or as triangular turnovers, but
can't be sure.

  and while I'm at it, even though it was posted before
> what does "Nym it up" mean?

It's apparently an Anglo-Saxon holdover, cognative to the German verb
"nehmen", meaning to take. Pretty much equivalent to "pick it up".

Adamantius