SC - Period Recipes

Sandra Davis tristan&isolde at pstbbs.com
Thu Jun 5 11:00:26 PDT 1997

I was looking through the Miscellany at the dessert section and I
came upon the Torta of Herbs in the Month of May (cites Platina book
8).

Part of the instructions state: add juice from bleta
Which is defined:
"Blette-Name given in some parts of France to white beet or chard."
Larousse Gastronomique.]

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what relationship
bleta might have to Swiss Chard.

I noticed that the redaction used  spinach (with water to produce juice),
and I was thinking that spinach is much more strong tasting than swiss
chard.  Does this torta end up tasting strongly of spinach?

Just Curious (never had swiss chard till I met my husband, but I like
it much better than spinach)

Claricia Nyetgale
Canton of Caldrithig
Barony of Skraeling Althing
Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)