SC - Period Recipes

Volker AElfwine volker_aelfwine at juno.com
Thu Jun 5 11:39:11 PDT 1997

> The minted rice was so strong with mint than several persons ran out
> of the room after their first bite.
>
> This suggests to me that:
>
> a)  The recipe was not accurate, or
> b)  The recipe was accurate, but unsuited for modern taste, or
> c)  The recipe was accurate in quantity of spice, but the spice was of
>       a  different potency than originally used or intended, or
> d)  We ate it in a manner not intended.  Should it have been a garnish
>      (such  as a horse radish or pickled ginger) rather than a dish.

Since most medieval recipes I have seen do not include actual
quantities, I would assume that the problem was either:

  a)  Far more mint was added than was intended by the originator of
       the recipe
                       OR
  b) The recipe wanted fresh mint, and they used the same quantity of
       dried (or vice versa - I can never keep the relationship
       straight )

Either way, in my not-so-humble opinion, it should have been
corrected at the pre-cook stage rather than being inflicted upon the
feasters.

Claricia Nyetgale
Canton of Caldrithig
Barony of Skraeling Althing
Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)