SC - Torta of Herbs(Cariadoc's Miscellany) question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 5 18:30:11 PDT 1997

Alianor D'Arcy asked on Tuesday, June 3:

>I am looking for a starting place for recipes for period cheeses.  I am
>willing to do the research but would appreciate a nudge in the right
>direction.

>Not quite cooks related, but does anyone have a source for period soap
>recipes?

Two files in my SCA Rialto Files that might be of use are:

dairy-prod-msg    (18K) 11/11/96    Dairy products. milk, cheese in period.
  in the FOOD section.

soap-msg          (14K)  4/ 7/97    Soap and soapmaking.
  in the UNCLASSIFIED section.

There is also some info on tallow (used in both candles and soap) in:
candles-msg       (68K)  1/24/97    Candle snuffers, making candles, wax,
tallow
  which can be found in the HOME, SWEET HOME section.

All of my files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com