SC - "Canturbury Tales"

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Jun 6 11:25:02 PDT 1997

> >> Fried Beans and Onions. Saute onions in oil, add kidney
> beans, ginger, cinnamon and another sweet spice. Heat. The onions, beans
> and sweet spices make a tastey mix and the dish is good hot or cold.
>
> So not only are fruit rollups period, so are barbecue beans w/onions?  Neat.

Well, _that_ recipe is probably not "period" (if we mean "medieval"),
because as far as I know kidney beans were not available in Europe until
the 16th or 17th century.  However, there are somewhat similar recipes
from medieval Arabic sources, using garbanzo or fava beans.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/