SC - Torta of Herbs(Cariadoc's Miscellany) question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 6 22:09:34 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> On Thursday, June 5, Adamantius declared:
>
> >Then there's the set of instructions in Gervase Markham on
> >carbonadoes...
>
> Ok Adamantius, we are listening. What is this "carbonadoes"?
> And how is it cooked?
>
> Stefan li Rous

Carbonadoes are any of several meat-based "dainties" that are
roasted/grilled before a fire until crispy on the outside. Depending on
the size and nature of the meat, they may or may not need to be
parboiled and/or scored with deep surface knife cuts to allow even heat
transfer. It's the best semi-period documentation for broiled steaks
I've been able to find : -)
Generally served with a sauce of butter and vinegar that bears a
striking resemblance to beurre blanc.

If you'll bear with me for a virtual moment here, I think I have a
recipe on disk.

Putputputput...

> [...]
>
> What is to be carbonadoed.
> yet the general dishes for the most part which are used to be carbonadoed are a breast of mutton half boiled, a shoulder of mutton half roasted, the legs, wings, and carcasses of capon, turkey, goose, or any other fowl whatsoever, especially land fowl. And lastly, the uppermost thick skin which covereth the ribs of beef, and is called (being broiled) the Inns of Court goose, and is indeed a dish usewd most for wantonness, sometimes to please appetite: to which may be added the broiling of pigs’ heads, or the brains of any fowl whatsoever after it is roasted and dressed.
>
> The manner of carbonadoes.
> 	Now for the manner of carbonadoing, it is in this sort; you shall first take the meat you must carbonado, and scotch it both above and below, then sprinkle good store of salt upon it, and baste it all over with sweet butter melted, which done, take your broiling iron; I do not mean a gridiron (though it be much used for this purpose) because the smoke of the coals, occasioned by the dropping of the meat, will ascend about it and make it stink; but a plate iron made with hooks and pricks, on which you may hang the meat, and set it close before the fire, and so the plate heating the meat behind as the fire doth before, it will both the sooner and with more neatness be ready: then having turned it, and basted it till it be very brown, dredge it, and serve it up with vinegar and butter.
>
> Of the toasting of mutton.
> 	Touching the toasting of mutton, venison, or any other joint of meat, which is the most excellentest of all carbonadoes, you shall take the fattest and largest that can possibly be got ( for lean meat is loss of labour, and little meat not worth your time), and, having scotched it, and cast salt upon it, you shall set it on a strong fork, with a dripping pan underneath it, before the face of a quick fire, yet so far off, that it may by no means scorch, but toast at leisure;  then with that which falls from it, and with no other basting,  see that you baste it continually,  turning it ever and anon many times, and so oft that it may soak and brown at great leisure, and as oft as you baste it, so oft sprinkle salt upon it, and as you see it toast scotch it deeper and deeper, especially in the thickest and most fleshy parts where the blood most resteth: and when you see that no more blood droppeth from it, but the gravy is clear and white; then shall you serve it up either with venison sauce, or with vinegar, pepper and sugar, cinnamon. and the juice of an orange mixed together, and warmed with some of the gravy.
> 					The English Housewife, Gervase Markham, 1615

'Nuff said?

Adamantius