SC - Period Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jun 7 01:36:23 PDT 1997

Dottie Elliott wrote:

> In a related question, what kind of pea is meant when a recipe calls for
> peas? Many of the recipes call for a green or grene pea. However some
> just mention peas. Is this the standard green peas I buy canned/frozen
> today, some of the brown peas I can buy canned or something entirely
> different?

There's a standard white pea that is still eaten across Northern Europe.
They look a little like blackeyed peas without the eye, and are just a
bit rounder. I don't know the botanical name offhand. It's doubtless in
Harold McGee. Green peas are the fresh, new variety of this pea, as
opposed to the dried form.

They represent one out of a total of four known varieties of legume
found in Medieval Europe, the others being favas, chick peas, and
lentils.

Adamantius