SC - Period Recipes

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Sun Jun 8 10:47:08 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << Although I could have sworn I'd said it was chard and cabbages that were
>  related... >>
>
> Yes that is what you said and what is the source of my question. The folowing
> info is what I came up with>
>
> Garden Beet: Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
> Native of Europe. Cultivated since the 3rd century c.e.
> Swiss Chard: Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
> Native of Europe. Cultivated since the 3rd century c.e.
> Sugar Beet  :Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
> Native of Europe. (Historical info unknown to me).
>
> Spinach: Order.Chenopodiales Family Chenopodaceae. Species Spinacia oleracea.
> Native of Southwestern Asia. (Historical info unknown to me).
>
> Radish: Order Papaverales. Family Cruciferae. Species Raphanus sativus.Native
> of Europe and Asia. Prized in the days of the Pharoahs. and ancient Greeks.
>
> Cabbage: Order Papaverales. Family Cruciferae. Species Brassica oleraceae cv.
> "Capitata". Grows wild in England, Denmark,, northwestern France and in
> Greece. Was iintroduced into cultivation in European gardens in the 9th
> century c.e. Known to history back to 2500 B.C.E.
> The order Polygnoles includes beet, chard, bindweed, rhubard. smartweed,
> buckwheat, wild morning glory, dock, sorrel, knotweed.
>
> The order Chinopodiales includes spinach, lamb's quarter, glasswort, russian
> thistle, belvedere.
>
> The order Papaverales includes cabbage, radish, rape, mustard rutabaga,
> turnip, kale , rocket, gilliflower, horseradish, cress, honesty (moonwort).
>
> Goddess! looove horticulture! :-)

Aha! This would seem to come under the heading of "Everything You Know
Is Wrong", which is a Firesign Theatre (talk about giving away one's
age!) album which contains the line, "Benjamin Franklin: the only
President of the United States who was never President of the United
States!" ;  ). I SAID they were all plants, didn't I????  Next thing
you'll be telling me Marco Polo DIDN'T bring noodles to Europe from
China!

Adamantius