SC - Period Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Jun 8 20:09:50 PDT 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Gretchen M Beck wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 4-Jun-97 Re: SC - All Members
> by Michael Macchione at coplan
> > I still tend to freak when I do a
> > recipe that I have no idea what the final result is supposed to be.  Thus
> > I tend to have troubles researching period cooking.
>
> That's interesting!  Along those lines, I'm curious--how to people here
> pick which recipes they want to try (or try to reconstruct, assuming
> they are working with period recipes)?
>
> My, I read through recipes, and when I find one that makes me go "Yum",
> I stop and try.  I've got a strong "food imagination/memory", conjuring
> up what I believe will be the final taste, texture, and smell from the
> recipe.
>
> toodles, margaret

That's pretty much what I do too.  If I just plain can't figure out
what a recipe is getting at then I just don't try it.  OTOH, my "food
imagination/memory" is not quite good enough always to be certain
exactly what the expected results will be.  Some things I try when I
only have a vague idea of what I might be getting, just because the
list of ingredients is so intriguing.

   Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
 mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
foxdale at wolfstar.com