SC - Will's-Introduction

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 10:54:22 PDT 1997

<< And perhaps I'm missing the boat but isn't the 1500's part of the time
period
 we are reconstructing?  If so, what is wrong with using New World
ingredients
 that were introduced and used during that time? >>

Well, sometimes using those ingredients is a matter of when did a certain
item reach where. For instance, your question about paprika. Paprika is made
from the dried fruits of the same family as green pepper or chili peppers. It
is a matter of record that chili peppers were a major agricultural crop in
the Mediterranean basin by 1523. Paprika peppers are in that family. However,
the problem occurs when you try to include other coutries in the general
"plan". Does it go to reason that because chili peppers were grown in the
Mediterranean basin that paprika was grown or imported to Hungary? I don't
know but the cookbooks that I have access to do not show paprika being used
until MUCH later.

This holds true for other New World foods such as corn which can be
documented as being grown in LATE period but it's documented use was strictly
for animal feed. Human consumption is not documented per se and certainly was
not readily accepted in noble circles. Potatoes> again there is some evidence
that the lower classes used them but the upper classes did not. Tomatoes>
depends. During the Elizabethan era they were consumed on a very minor scale
in Italy. The rest of "educated" Europe tho't them generally poisonous and
the Elizabethan English grew the white varieties as an ornamental much as we
grow petunias.

So, IMHO, if New World foods are to be used in feast they should be
introduced as a "novelty" in perhaps one dish and then a big ta-doo should be
made over the fact that they are a novelty and perhaps the potential
poisonous aspects could be brought up and diners requested to eat them at
their own risk.

The use of New World foods also detracts from the "periodness" that some
folks are striving to re-create.But even this objection can be overcome if
the cook is sure to pre-announce that New World foods are being served. And
lastly, IMHO, there are so many wonderful period dishes that it becomes
almost unnecessary to include New World foods when planning a feast. This is
not to say that you can't serve them but personally, I have so many period
recipes that I want to try that I would have no room for New World recipes if
I wanted to. Since I am a cook "persona" in the SCA my tho'ts are somewhat
biased in this area.

These are just my disjointed and humble tho'ts and are not meant to denegrate
those who have other opinions.

Lord Ras