SC - Rosehip recipe

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Tue Jun 10 19:20:28 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> Actually, I have documented corn as used for human consumption.

If it was grown, there's a good chance it was eaten by at least some
people at some time. Same holds true for acorns, horse chestnuts and
tree bark. However, I don't mean to quibble. If exceptions prove the
rule, then the rule is proven...

  The class
> isn't clear.  But only in the form of bread, and not modern (baking soda
> leavened) corn bread.  For details, see
>
>      http://www.watervalley.net/users/jtn/Articles/maize.html
>
> But it's a *very* narrow window of time and place, and we don't know in any
> detail what sort of bread anyhow.  Should people serve corn at feasts, based
> on this information?  Who the heck knows what "should" means in this context?
> All I hope for, is that those who choose to do so will make some attempt to
> avoid false impressions of what we actually know of the record ("Of course
> it's okay!  S/He's documented corn up one side and down the other!").

Just out of curiosity: I just skimmed through the article--any remote
chance Mazza de Congo is a reference to sorghum, which is native to
Africa, grows in a slightly similar-looking ear, and might have been
obscure enough by European standards to have been named for American
Maize?

Just stirring up trouble again...

Adamantius