SC - Someone on this list asked me a question..can't

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jun 12 22:49:35 PDT 1997

> I was out dead-heading my White Rose of York climber and there were
> already some rosehips forming. I remembered that my brother used to make
> a rosehip jelly, but I can't find any recipes (period or modern) for it.
> Any one know if this is period? Have a recipe?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Julleran

Ok, I've been swamped for a couple of days, and I don't know if anyone
has posted anything yet, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat
of anything.

All of these are from "Rose Recipes from Olden Times" by Eleanour
Sinclair Rohde, Dover edition ["Unabridged, unaltered republication
of original (1939) edition.]. Some of her recipes have attributions
attached, others not.  I have made sure I have reproduced the recipes
as exactly as I can, given the limitations of straight ASCII text
(i.e., those are not typos down there in the Russian recipe).

   Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
 mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
foxdale at wolfstar.com

ROSE HIP MARMALADE
Ingredients:  Wild rose hips, Sugar.
Method.  To every pound of Rose hips allow half a pint of water.  Boil
till the fruit is tender.  Pass the pulp through a sieve fine enough
to keep back the seeds.  To each pound of pulp allow a pound of
preserving sugar.  Boil till it jellies.

TO MAKE A CONSERVE OF ROSE HIPS
Gather the hips before they grow soft, cut off the heads and stalks,
slit them in halves, and take out all the seeds and white that is in
them very clean; then put in an earthen pan, and stir them every day
else they will grow mouldy; let them stand till they are soft enough
to rub through a coarse hair sieve; as the pulp comes take it off the
seive; they are a dry berry; will require pains to rub it through;
then add its weight in sugar, and mix it well together without
boiling; keeping it in deep gallipots for use. -- E. Smith.  The
Complete Housewife 1736.

TO MAKE A TART OF HIPS
Take hips, cut them and take out the seeds very clean, then wash them
and season them with sugar, cinnamon and ginger, close the tart, bake
it scrape on sugar and serve it in. -- The Art and Mystery of Cookery
Approved by the Fifty-five Years Experience and Industry of Robert May
1671.

MARMALADE FROM ROSE HIPS
To every pound of hips allow half a pint of water; boil till the fruit
is tender, then pass the pulp through a sieve which will keep back the
seeds.  To each pound of pulp add one pound of preserving sugar and
boil until it jellies. -- E. G. Hayden.  Travels Round Our Village.

JAM MADE WITH THE BERRIES OF WILD DOG ROSES
Choose ripe large sound berries from a dog rose bush (Eglantine).
They should be hard.  Scrape each berry and cut off tip through
opening remove pulp with the aid of a bodkin or tiny spoon, being
careful not to break berry.  Tie a piece of linen round the bodkin or
little spoon and wipe the inside to remove any pulp that may remain.
There are fine hairs which must be removed.  Drop berries into cold
water and rinse several times shaking about to make sure that all
little hairs are gone.  Put into a saucepan, pour over boiling water,
put on fire and as soon as the water boils again pour berries out on a
sieve and pour cold water over them,  Then put a clean cloth over the
sieve and put each berry standing with the little hole underneath to
drain well.
  Prepare syrup.  For every pound of berries use 3 lb. sugar and 23/4
2 and 3/4 cups water.  Let it boil twice then put in berries and cook
till tender.  Remove scum which forms on jam.  When tender pour into
china bowl, tie a cloth over and let stand for several days.  Every
now and then move the bowl about, so that the berries are well filled
with the syrup.  Pour into jars and close with air-tight stoppers or
parchment paper.  Keep in a dry place. -- The Russian Cook Book.
Compiled and translated by Princess Alexandre Gazarene 1924.