Re(2): Re(2): SC - Caffeine in period

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sun Jun 15 04:43:34 PDT 1997

mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib declared today on June 14,

> we know that medieval people separated
>eggs, we know that they beat eggs (sorta -- it's usually described as
>"draw them through a strainer")

What do you think this "draw them through a strainer" means? If they
meant to beat the egg, then it would seem much easier to beat it in
a bowl and say so. I imagine someone pushing an egg through a strainer
but that doesn't end up with a similar result as beating, unless I've
got a mistaken idea of what beating an egg is supposed to do. So how
do we get from "draw them through a strainer" to "beat the eggs"?

Stefan li Rous