SC - A Little Humour (Very Little)

Aonghas MacLeoid (B.G. Morris) hylndr at ionline.net
Mon Jun 16 04:41:34 PDT 1997

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 linneah at erols.com wrote:

> I've always been partial to bread dough wrapped around a clean green stick and
> held over the fire until golden - sort of like roasting a marshmallow.  Eat it
> plain or brush it with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  May not
> be period, but it is tasty.

If you do it on a flat iron "skillet" (the type found i several viking digs)
it is period as a cooking method. Not sure about the alternative of using
a flat rock, but I would tend to assume that was done in early period
"field expedient cooking" as well.

If you want to keep it period you should also give some thought to the
grains you use in the bread (and stay away from baking powder). For great
results mix in some peas (boiled and mashed) in the dough, as well as
mixing several different grains. This was done in several of the breads
(or porridges; it is often hard to tell the difference 1000 years later)
found in the viking age archaeological material.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"...but that means using MSIE, which is wrong."
           -- Beverly R. White