SC - eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 16 12:03:54 PDT 1997

On Sunday, June 15, Lord Ras stated:

<< What do you think this "draw them through a strainer" means? >>

IMO, this means exactly that. The reason being to strain out the less tasty
parts of the egg such as blood. In todays world of supermarket infertle eggs
we frequently forget or, in some case are not aware of the particularly less
desirable bits that are found floating about in fertilized eggs.

Thanks for this info. This had not occurred to me. But if you don't need
the rooster around to get eggs, why would the medieval folks keep such
a non-productive item around? Couldn't they just share a communal rooster?
Why feed several when you only need one to get more chickens?
<<<<

I would most certainly agree that a strained egg bears not the remotest
ressemblance to a "beaten" egg. IMHO, if we take the time to stand back and
think about the way things were before the technology of today, many
curiousities of the past become glaringly understandable.

yes, but some of these curiousities are not obvious. Especially to a city
dweller like me. And I daresay, some of these curiousities are not clear
to the academics either, although some come out when you try to recreate
things. One of the neat things about the "practical anthropology" that
many SCA folks do.

My question about how the recipe redactors get from "draw them through
a strainer" to "beat the egg" is still unanswered. Is this a reasonable
redaction? Why?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com