SC - Re: turnips

Tue Jun 17 07:07:44 PDT 1997

Hallo folks. I've been kicking around some Feast Theme ideas, and wondered
if you all could provide any input, recipe sources, etc:

A "Filthy" Feast for Halloween (rather than the "Poison" one that I keep
hearing about, with "antidotes" in the second remove. I'm a little too
squeemish for that). The idea is to serve Compost, Garbage, FFartes--which I
read about once and now can't find the source, and other
horrible-to-modern-ear dishes. Can anyone point me in the direction of real
dishes with disgusting names, which have period sources? And before you
start to question my sanity, I'd like to state emphatically that THIS WAS
NOT MY IDEA. It was the guys in the Cook's guild that put me up to it. I
think I will retire from the kitchen and let them have at it for this one.
There won't be a lady-like word uttered the whole day in there.

I've been looking at some early paintings and illuminations depicting a sort
of Service I'd like to emulate: Birds served whole and carried to the table
on Skewers by two servants, etc.  Fish served whole.  Joints carved to order
at the table, starting with the most important person and working downward.
This is probably best done for a smaller feast. Has anyone done this one,
and can they offer some good advice about strategy?

I'd like to hear more about Mistress Sincgiefu's (sorry if I mangled that)
Feast of Illusion. That sounds lovely.

I am wondering if anyone has done a feast where the sotelties are edible and
made to look like games or period toys (for xmas or 12th nite!).

Has anyone done a feast that is Themed for Spring (perfect for May Day)?

Does anyone have any other cool ideas? Now that Crown is over and I'm no
longer the Seneschal, I am going stark raving mad for want of something to
organise!

Aoife